The Therapeutic Recreation Program offers recreation, leisure and socialization opportunities for adults with special needs. Each month from September through June, the program puts on events in the evenings and occasionally on weekends. Events include themed dances, holiday parties, an annual formal dance, and trips to local venues such as Johnson’s Family Farm, Brunswick Zone, and Cinemark Theater, among others. A number of Coworkers, Volunteers and even a nurse staff the events, providing supervision and assistance to those in attendance. Although many of the events are exclusive to the adult population, some family-friendly events are held throughout the year as well.
For questions or to enroll your loved one in Therapeutic Recreation's events, please contact:
Policies and Guidelines
Due to the restructuring of the Therapeutic Recreation program, changes have been made to the program’s policies and guidelines. Please read and review these guidelines, carefully, prior to registering for an event.
1. Please register early so that we may obtain the necessary staff to accommodate all students and adults.
2. It is the sole responsibility of the parent/guardian to secure transportation. The Therapeutic Recreation office does not offer transportation from the home. We do usually provide transportation from SJOGCS to a program site, however, there may be a few events that require parent transportation.
3. Please note the age requirement for activities on flyer/website.
4. All fees and documentation must be turned into the Therapeutic Recreation Office prior to participation.
5. Only Therapeutic Recreation staff can confirm a registration for an activity, therefore all registration and permission forms must be sent directly to Therapeutic Recreation staff ONLY.
6. If you are an External Participant (meaning NOT in the Workshop or ADS) you will be able to register by phone for events, BUT you must still mail in form and fees by the deadline.
7. There is
a “Lateness” policy. In consideration of the time it takes to travel to certain
venues or prep for certain events, we ask that you adhere to the Drop-Off and
Pick-Up times of our programs. Please DO NOT DROP OFF participants more the 15
minutes earlier than the planned start or departure time. Participants will be
dismissed from the program if consistent lateness becomes an issue.